Amazing Pilgrimage

A Pilgrimage walk for the common good.

St Peter & St Paul's

The Parish of Newport Pagnell comprises the Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul along with the daughter church of St Luke's. St Peter & St Paul : High Street, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 8AR

The Amazing Pilgrimage 15/9/2019 Second Start Point

On the Day of the Pilgrimage

Section Centre Milton Keynes to St Peter and St Pauls Church Newport Pagnell is 5.7 miles, arrival time approximately 11:15 am. Stop for meet and greet around the church. Tea and biscuits to be served. It is anticipated that there will be a joint service with Newport Pagnell and a Milton Keynes community prior to the arrival of the walkers. After this, they will get ready to welcome the walkers. Information boards telling the history of Newport Pagnell in the Civil War and the stabling of cavalry in the church! Music program and Toilets in the church. Induction of people who have chosen the 5.7mile walk option.

History of the Church

The Parish Church is a Grade 1 listed building. When Fulk Pagnell and his wife Beatrix gave Newport Pagnell Parish Church to the monks at St. Mary's Priory at Tickford in 1100, there was probably a wooden structure on the present site, but it was soon replaced by a stone cruciform building with a central tower. About 1350, the church was rebuilt in its present form, with north and south aisles and porches but without a tower. The chancel was rebuilt during the early sixteenth century, and the present west tower was built in 1542-8. During a restoration in 1827, the south aisle was rebuilt and crockets and battlements were added to the tower and the roof, respectively. New vestries were built onto the north-east corner in 1905, and there was extensive restoration of the tower in 1972-3 and of the exterior stonework and roof in 1989-93. Whether approaching the town from either north or south, there is a fine view of this cathedral-like Church. It stands above the valleys of two rivers - the Great Ouse and the Ousel or Lovat. At the time of the Norman Conquest, the town was known as Newport. In the reign of William Rufus, the owner of the Manor, Fulk Paganel, added his name. He founded the Priory of Tickford and gave Newport Church to the Prior and Monks, together with a "hide of land in the Field of Newport". The Priory was dissolved by Wolsey in 1524and much of its endowment was given to Christ Church, Oxford. Newport was originally in the Diocese of Dorchester under St Birinus. In 1072 it was transferred to Lincoln, and finally in 1845, was moved to the Diocese of Oxford, where it still remains. The town has been part of the deanery to which it gives its name since the 13th century. Nothing remains of the original Church but it was probably a simple Norman structure, of a nave and chancel. Later, there is thought to have been a cruciform Church on the site, with nave, central tower and transepts, but in the 14 century, the tower was destroyed, and records show a new one was built on to the west of the nave about 1540. The pinnacles and battlements were added to the Church in the great restoration of 1827.

Stacks Image 12
Click the button to see St Peter & St Paul's Church on the map of Newport Pagnell: